Thursday, July 17, 2014

My Journey as a Writer

I am new to my journalism major and since I have started taking more classes, my writing has improved vastly. Since the start of this feature writing class, my confidence in my writing has increased. I no longer procrastinate as long as I have in the past. It is more gratifying to finish my articles ahead of time so that I don’t have as much stress as when I wait until the last minute to start writing.
From here I have two more semester at UW-Whitewater to finish my degree. This fall I will be involved in writing for the Royal Purple and I will be taking writing for the web and publication layout. I think that these classes will help me to learn more about newswriting.
I have always really liked to write. I like being able to research topics to inform people about society. Feature writing was fun because I was able to put more creativity into my topics and into my wording. The more I interview people, the more comfortable I get. I am able to think of more questions that better my pieces.
There was some difficulty with this class because of how fast paced it was. Occasionally, I had writers’ block that prevented me from finishing some assignments earlier. With how much I work and the random stressors from coworkers, I’m not surprised I lost my words sometimes. After I walked away for a while and gained some new perspective, I was able to complete writing were I left off.

After I graduate, I’m hoping to get a job as an editor or photojournalist. After taking this class, I’ve also realized that I wouldn’t mind freelance writing for a while. The article about self-motivation and selling yourself as a freelance writer was really intriguing and inspiring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment